Serving The Cities: Crowley/Burleson (817) 349-3057 | South Fort Worth (817) 350-6724

Hormonal Testing for Men and Women

The majority of hormones in your body exist in two forms. Only about 5% will be bioavailable, or biologically active hormones that can be used by receptors to facilitate communication. The other 95% are protein-bound hormones that are too large and cannot pass through cell membranes.

The endocrine system contains all the essential hormone producing glands – pituitary, adrenals and thyroid among others. These glands produce the hormones necessary for your organs to communicate with one another, affect general body functions and even control your mood and emotions.

Hormonal testing is a simple procedure that helps men and women who are experiencing problems with the endocrine system or neurotransmitters, brain chemicals which are also closely linked with your hormonal system. These work with receptors to influence and regulate processes like mental performance, pain response, emotions and energy levels.

Contrary to popular belief, hormonal imbalances are not only limited to women going through menopause and men experiencing andropause. There are some stages in life when they are expected, like puberty, pregnancy or menstruation cycles, but hormonal changes, imbalances and disorders can affect anyone, regardless of age, sex or ethnicity.

This delicate balance of hormones change when your body is under stress, but that isn’t the only cause of hormonal imbalance. Some other factors that can have negative effects include depression, contraceptive pills, hormone replicators (stimulants and steroids), heavy metals toxicity and/or pesticides in food, water, etc. They can lead to general unhappiness, at the very least, but at their worst, they can cause serious issues with the everyday functioning of the body.

Symptoms

When there is an imbalance, the symptoms that can include, but aren’t limited to:

  • Infertility and decreased interest in sex
  • Sudden weight gain or loss
  • Heavy bleeding and cramping during periods
  • Extreme craving for salt, sugar or even sour foods
  • Random mood changes at odd times of the day
  • Inability to get regular sleep
  • Fatigue, nausea and reduced concentration


If you’re experiencing one or more of these symptoms, there’s a good chance your hormonal system has become unbalanced and you should get a hormone test as soon as possible.

Diagnosis & Tests

Tests used to diagnose imbalances include:

  • Saliva Test VS Serum (Blood) Test – A saliva test is preferred over serum testing since only the unbound hormones can pass through the salivary glands and those are the ones which are clinically relevant. Another advantage of the saliva test for hormones is its ability to measure topically dosed hormones, which do not show up on a serum test.
  • Testing Neurotransmitter Levels – Primarily active in the central nervous system, neurotransmitters are chemical messengers used by your brain to communicate with organs and muscles. Neurotransmitter imbalances can have a profound effect on hormone production and their functioning. These can be easily identified with a simple and noninvasive urinary test.


At Pro Chiropractic Clinics, our state-of-the-art facilities are thoroughly equipped with best-in-class equipment for hormone and neurotransmitter level testing. We could also arrange home test kits that are simple to use for measuring a wide variety of hormones, right in the comfort of your home, on a patient to patient basis. In that case, we will provide guidance on using the kits correctly and what the results mean for you.

Once the testing is completed and results are out, one of our experienced chiropractic practitioners can discuss the various techniques that can be used to correct your hormone and neurotransmitter systems. With chiropractic care, we can restore the balance in your body with safer alternatives like bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT), nutraceuticals or simple adjustments, so you can be your best, all the time!