From a young age, we’re constantly told to not slouch and sit up straight. And yet, only a fraction of us really took that to heart. It’s important to know that posture refers to the body’s alignment and positioning in regard to gravity. So whether we’re sitting, standing, or lying down, gravity exerts a force on our joints, ligaments, and muscles. Why is good posture so important then? Well, it basically distributes the force of gravity through our body so no single structure is overstressed. In this blog post, we will dive into some key reasons as to why posture has such an impact on our overall health.
- Good posture portrays a more confident image – Whether you think so or not, standing up straight as opposed to slouched over can make a huge difference. Maybe you’d like to start appearing more confident at the office or in the dating scene. In any case, those who stand tall and have good posture exude more confidence.
- Good posture improves circulation and digestion – As explained in this article by Muscle & Fitness, proper posture allows the internal organs in the abdomen to sit in their natural position without harmful compression. When the internal organs are compressed, it can interfere with the normal flow and function of the gastrointestinal apparatus. Not to mention, slouched posture can contribute to digestive challenges such as acid reflux and constipation.
- Good posture helps muscles and joints – Good posture helps us keep bones and joints the proper alignment so that our muscles are used correctly. In addition, it reduces the stress on ligaments holding the spinal joints together. As a whole, proper posture minimizes the likelihood of injury, allows muscles to work more efficiently, and prevents muscle fatigue.
- Good posture changes the frame of mind – Interestingly, posture also affects frame of mind and frame of mind affects posture. So even when you aren’t in the best of moods, do your best to stand up straight and breathe deeply. Good posture allows us to breathe fully and naturally, helping concentration and relaxation.
- Healthy spine – Take a moment to consider your daily activities. From standing and sitting to rigorous exercise, the spine is depended on to provide support for the entire body. Without a healthy spine, we’re putting our bodies at risk both in the present and future.
Consult Our Wellness Centers
Chiropractic care from our Fort Worth wellness centers promotes healthy nervous system function, brain function, and improves health. One of the major benefits of chiropractic is that it leads to improved movement in the back, neck, shoulders, torso, and, of course, posture.
At Pro Chiropractic Clinics, we routinely see patients who don’t have the best of posture. By working with you in improving posture, you will enjoy less pain. Best of all, there’s no having to worry about potentially addictive pain medications. Rather than cover up the symptoms, our back pain specialists strive to get to the root of the issue.
Whether it’s bulging disc treatment, slipped disc treatment, spinal decompression therapy, car accident recovery, headache relief, or natural hormone replacement, we can help. Call us today to get started.