You’ve had the same morning routine for years. Wake up, shower, throw on some work clothes, eat breakfast, take some pain medication, and head out the door. Not exactly out of the ordinary, right? Unfortunately, the U.S. is currently dealing with a pain medication epidemic. While you may think that you’re managing the pain, the reality is that you’re only making matters worse. In this blog post, we will explain how opioids work, why they’re so dangerous, and how chiropractic can be a proven alternative to treat pain.
How Opioids Work
The purpose of these medications is to reduce the intensity of pain signals to the brain. Keep in mind that, though, that opioids also affect the areas of the brain that control emotion. This is what helps diminish the effects of a painful stimulus. In turn, opioids have addictive properties. Here just some of the more common pain medications:
- Hydrocodone and Oxycodone – These tend to be prescribed for extremely painful conditions such as injury-related pain (broken bones), cancer pain, or some dental pain.
- Morphine – Doctors occasionally prescribe morphine before and after a surgical procedure to alleviate severe pain.
- Codeine – The least powerful of the bunch, codeine is often prescribed for mild pain. It can also be used to combat coughs and diarrhea.
The Dangers of Opioids
Here are some alarming statistics presented by the Centers for Disease and Prevention:
- Opioids contribute to more than 16,000 deaths per year in the U.S. alone.
- In just the last 10 years, drug prescription has increased nearly 300 percent. Today, painkillers rank at the top of most commonly prescribed drugs in the country.
- Even just one large dose of an opioid can cause severe respiratory failure, which can lead to death.
- Opioid exposure in utero increases the risk of defects in a baby’s brain, heart, spine, and abdominal wall.
- Opioids don’t always mitigate pain. In fact, some patients find that these medications make them feel worse because of side effects. Some of these include sedation and depression.
How a Fort Worth Chiropractor Can Help
At Pro Chiropractic Clinics, we specialize in chiropractic for the treatment of headaches, neck and low back discomfort, as well as pain that stems from pinched nerves and muscle strains. When it comes to developing a treatment for back pain, we don’t just settle for masking the issue by prescribing potentially addictive pain medications. Rather, we will work with you in determining the source of the pain. From there, we customize a back pain treatment to fit your needs and provide a long-term solution.
On a daily basis, we see patients who are dealing with pain from an earlier injury or recent auto accident. Whatever your case, it is possible to recover and get back to your active lifestyle without the need for invasive surgery or risky pain medicine. Rest assured that our back pain specialist and chiropractic practitioners will use a proven, drug-free strategy to examine, diagnose, and treat your disorder.
Call Pro Chiropractic Clinics to schedule your appointment.